Recipes, products and tasty morsels that move me.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Delicious Reason To Visit Redmond


In the summer of 2007 I moved to Seattle. Since that time I have crossed the 520 bridge exactly 4 times. I don't see the point of going over to the 'East Side'. Everything I want and need is available to me on the West Side with the exception (so far) of the following things: 1) a table at Cost Plus in Redmond that wasn't in stock anywhere else. 2) a Counting Crows concert at Marymoor Park. 3) the King County Humane Society where Dan and I adopted our dog. And, finally 4) The Stone House.

My friend Scott lives on the East Side and he has graciously traveled over to my neck of the woods every time we've gotten together since he moved here two years ago. Last night, he finally guilted me into coming to see him on his turf. I'm not even going to pretend that I took the high road and didn't complain. He suggested we meet at The Stone House in Redmond for dinner. Scott has excellent taste so I had high hopes for his recommendation. I was not disappointed.

The restaurant is very small, I would estimate there were only about 10 tables - but the size added to the ambiance and warmth of the experience. The staff was helpful and friendly. The menu was diverse but not overwhelmingly so. And the food was outstanding. Our reservation was for 5:30 because we were heading to a movie afterward, so we were able to take advantage of a couple very reasonably priced appetizers and wine specials. We started with a large bowl of Penn Cove Mussels Simmered In Red Coconut Curry Broth and a small plate of warm brie with grilled sausage and rustic bread. The mussels were so good that we both agreed we should have just gotten two orders and a loaf of bread to soak up the sauce and called it a night.

For the main course I ordered the appetizer size plate of Truffle Tremor Mac and Cheese with Dungeness Crab and a Satsuma Salad. Scott ordered the Chili Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Red Pepper Coulis, Cheddar Mash Potatoes and a seasonal vegetable. The Mac and Cheese was rich and creamy and they didn't skimp on the large pieces of shaved truffle and crab meat. The Satsuma Salad was a good choice to pair with the Mac and Cheese because it was simple and light. Scott's beef was cooked perfectly and the chili rub was flavorful but didn't overpower the meat. He was particularly enamored of the cheddar mash potatoes. I tried them and they were excellent. Creamy and cheesy - comfort food at it's best.

We finished the meal with a grilled banana split. It was served in a sundae glass with vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, brownie bits and toasted coconut sprinkles. Generally, if I order dessert I want to try something that I don't have the time to make (think creme brulee or a souffle) but this gooey confection was pretty tasty. We finished every bite.

Perhaps the most impressive part of the entire meal was the bill. All the food I have mentioned plus two glasses of wine for me came to less than $90. To top it off Scott took home about 1/2 of my Mac and Cheese because I couldn't finish it all. We left fat and happy and I might have warmed up to the East Side just a little bit more.

The Stone House is located at 16244 Cleveland St. in Redmond, Washington, 425-558-5625. Reservations are recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment