Recipes, products and tasty morsels that move me.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Embrace The Crockpot

It's so hard to get motivated in January. I know I should be attempting to accomplish all those wonderful New Year's resolutions, but the truth is I didn't make any this year. Every year since I was about 16 I've tried to give up cussing. I can tell you now, it isn't going to #*&$%!@ happen. It's been raining every day and the excitement of the holidays is gone, leaving me with nothing but some hazy memories (see posting about champagne) and five extra pounds around my mid-section. When I get home from work I just want to snuggle on the couch with my husband and my dog and watch bad television (Jersey Shore anyone?). So, it was with great pleasure that I read my friend Chris's Facebook comments about a new crock pot recipe. That's what I need! Some inspiration to get back in the kitchen! And it doesn't hurt that the recipe is easy and fairly nutritious. I modified my version because I'm trying to cut down on the sodium, but I still give full credit to Chris because this recipe does not stray too far from hers and she gave me the idea to begin with. We're not breaking new ground here, this is essentially just crock pot chili - but it hit the spot so I wanted to share it with you. Also, nothing beats getting home and having dinner ready. Theoretically, this should give me more time to work off those five extra pounds........


Chris's Chicken Chili

1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast (I used tenders)
2 cans of beans (Chris used white beans but I used one can of black and one can of kidney beans)
1/2 a jalapeno, diced
6 cloves garlic, diced or minced
1.5 cups of frozen veggie mix (Chris and I used a "Fiesta" mix that had corn, peppers and black beans)
2 cups chicken stock OR 2 tsp low sodium chicken bouillon plus 2 cups water
1 can cream of chicken soup (I used 1/2 can low sodium version)

For the seasoning:
Chris used a packet of taco seasoning, but in order to cut the sodium I used
2 tablespoon chili powder
1-2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flake
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
*if you aren't trying to cut sodium I would add 1-2 teaspoons salt

Place all ingredients in crock pot, stir, put on lid. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. 30 minutes before serving break up chicken with the back of a fork. If the chili isn't thick enough mix 3 tablespoons of the hot chili broth with 2 tablespoons of corn starch until smooth and then add to crock pot.

Garnish with any or all of the following: diced avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, fresh cilantro

Grab a bowl and the remote and hit the couch!

No comments:

Post a Comment