Recipes, products and tasty morsels that move me.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Do look behind this curtain.

I love New York. I know, I know. It's such a cliche'. But, it's a cliche' for a reason. The city's not for everybody, I get that. And, if I'm being honest with myself, I just don't have the patience (nor am I hip or cool enough) to ever actually live there. But, I love to visit. My husband and I recently went to New York City for a wedding. We touched down on Friday evening with just enough time to stop by our hotel in mid-town and freshen up then hop a cab to the tres chic Upper East Side to meet our friends Anders and Yvette for dinner. Now, I know what you are thinking "Upper East Side? What kind of overpriced, snobby restaurant is she going to write about?" Well, you're wrong. I'm going to head in the other direction actually. Although, we did walk by Phillipe, a restaurant that Yvette informed me is regularly featured on Real Housewives of New York.


My friend Yvette is perhaps the reason I love New York so much. I know if I'm in the city I'll get to see her and that makes me happy. She's a great friend for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is our shared love of food. We are similar in that we can both get equally excited about a french fry or foie gras. The decision on which restaurant we should eat at was left up to her and I knew we'd be in good hands.


When Yvette told me we were going to get burgers I figured we were going casual and I wore some jeans and flats. When this burger joint happened to be in the Parker Meridien hotel - I started to second guess my choice of attire. I mean, this is a hotel that actually calls itself Le Parker Meridien. Seriously, the signs outside say "Le". I found that hilarious for some reason. We walk into the very posh lobby and as soon as we can see the front desk the smell hits us. Grease. Yummy, greasy food. Yvette points to an incredibly tall velvet curtain and explains to us that the burger joint (it's really just called "the burger joint") is behind there. I found it hard to believe but, sure enough, when we rounded the corner there was an itty bitty burger joint tucked away in the lobby. The place was packed and the line went all the way to the door. Just as we walked in someone got up from a table in the back and Yvette, the cool New Yorker that she is, slid past everybody in line and grabbed the soon to be empty space. Our husbands met us a few minutes later with cheeseburgers, fries, cokes, milkshakes......mmmm. The menu is limited but who cares when cheeseburgers are an option. Yvette's vanilla shake was delicious, the fries were very good, but the burgers were the star of the show. Juicy, flavorful, cooked to perfection. And we managed to have dinner in New York for less than $25 a couple - no small feat.


If you're ever in NYC and you're in need of a delicious and cheap meal, check out the burger joint.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds delish! It is now on my list for the next visit to NYC.

    Are you going to Food Blogger conference out there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to see more posts from you! I love your voice, you're such a great writer. And I HEART NYC! :)

    ReplyDelete