Recipes, products and tasty morsels that move me.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

As most of you know, I spend my days fielding baking questions for a pretty big baking mix company. Over the course of a day I might talk to 100 different consumers about their trials and tribulations with muffins, cookies, cakes and any number of baked goods. I often have people suggest alternate methods for baking a product but I rarely have someone suggest a specific recipe to me - and until Monday I hadn't had any consumers suggest a recipe that I actually wanted to try. And then Amy from Lexington told me about Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake.

Through out my conversation with Amy I could tell that she was a woman that knew a good cake when she ate one. We had several favorite mixes and flavors in common and she had mentioned some more advanced recipes that she had tried - so I took her word for it when she said this was the "best chocolate cake I have ever made." I had to try it.

Wednesday night I had some extra time on my hands so I picked up the ingredients I needed and went to work. The recipe is simple for a "from scratch" cake and the ingredients were mostly things I already had in my pantry or fridge. Always a bonus. Once the cakes came out of the oven I stole a few crumbs and could already tell I was in for a treat. I cooled the cakes and made the frosting which was intensely chocolate flavored. I frosted the cake and covered it for the night, I had promised co-workers that I'd be bringing the cake in for them to try so I couldn't sneak a piece.

The cake was a triumph. I had several people ask me for the recipe and many "oohs" and "aahs" as it was devoured throughout the day. If you love intense chocolate flavor and a slightly denser cake (almost like a flour less cake consistency) then this is a cake you should try. But I'll warn you ahead of time - plan to share it with others because you won't want this lethal confection hanging around your house.


The recipe can be found here.


Now get in the kitchen and bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment